Wednesday, November 14, 2007

WFMW: baked on food help

Well...here's another one that I figured everyone BUT me knew. Particularly since DaHubby told me about it! And, his ex-wife who DaHubby S-W-E-A-R-S didn't cook a well as me told HIM! (smart man, huh?) *wink*

Anyway, I thought of it last night I was doing dishes and had a 13 by 9 CorningWare pan that had held chicken and veggies drizzled in olive oil, sprinkled with herbs, and baked for 45 minutes! Smelled great, tasted better but GOOD GRIEF - the baked-on mess! LOL

I don't usually put my "good" bakeware and my stove-top pans in the dishwasher at the manufacturers' suggestions. Not a big deal most of the time since my pricey stove-top stuff that DaHubby blessed me with last tax-check season ROCKS and is nonstick. But that CorningWare (another gift) is another story. Not only is it beautiful and really, really white, but it's a relative pain in the butt to clean...

UNTIL!

DaHubby mentioned this...soak it overnight with hot water and dishwasher (ala Cascade-type) detergent!

DUH! *smacks forehead*

Now that I've done this a few times, I'd swear they put ACID in that stuff. LOL After a overnight soaking in water and a Cascade-wannabe, I can almost clean my stickiest, nastiest, baked-on goop with a paper towel!

What's funny is that my in-law's who don't even OWN a dishwasher now keep a small bottle of dishwasher detergent near their sink (which really messes with their guests' minds! LOL) for just this use!

So, really, I'm the only one left on the planet that didn't know this, right?

And, you can stop by Shannon's today for more (hopefully more useful) ideas! LOL

5 comments:

Memarie Lane said...

Great tip, thanks!

GiBee said...

A drizzle of bleach and a squirt of dish washer liquid works too. And if it's stuck on a pan that can go on the stove top, boiling it with the same formula works great!

Unashamed said...

My mom showed me that one. It works SO well!

Totallyscrappy said...

Now why didn't I think of that? ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I SO didn't know that!!! Thanks for the great tip.

Kathy D.