Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Whose Control are YOU Under?

That actually my title for this outline from my pastor's sermon from last Sunday. Simply because it has been a reminder to me to check myself in a moment of stress or strain and be aware of how I'm reacting and what I am thinking and feeling.

So, I give you...Pastor's sermon on "Real Power":

Blessed are the MEEK for they will inherit the earth.


Yet, you are NOT meant to be a doormat! "Meek" is meant to imply "gentle" and "under God's control." Remember - we may be meek but we are born with God-given harnessed power!

Hoover Dam holds back an enormous amount of water, letting it out in controlled amounts to capture the most productive electricity output. We can be like that dam! We can have restrained, controlled power!

We’re also like the space shuttle – we have the power to lift up or to blow up/destroy.

There are three ways to live your life:

Out of control – an accident waiting to happen

In control – controlling things “my way”, restraining self alone, basically forcing yourself into a “box” to behave as expected.

Or, you can be under God’s control!

Five “Real Power” exercises for this week:

First, when you are confronted…LOVE!


Proverbs 15.1 A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 25.15 By long forbearance a ruler is persuaded, And a gentle tongue breaks a bone.
Ephesians 4.26 "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath,
Psalm 141.3 Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips.

Second, when you are insulted…PRAY!

Matthew 5.39 "But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
1 Peter 3.9 not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing.
Luke 6.28 "bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.

Third, when you are neglected…ENCOURAGE!


1 Thess 5.14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all.
Hebrews 10.24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,


(Nothing will “solve” your neglected-ness faster than helping someone else. Pastor was careful to say – there is power in good works. They won’t get you to Heaven but it will be the type of character building God wants for you!)

Fourth, when you are rejected…FORGIVE!


Colossians 3.13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also [must do.]
1 Peter 2.23 who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed [Himself] to Him who judges righteously;

Luke 6.37 Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

And, finally, when you are applauded…SAY THANKS AND MOVE ON!

Psalm 49.18-19 Though while he lives he blesses himself (For [men] will praise you when you do well for yourself), 19 He shall go to the generation of his fathers; They shall never see light.
1 Cor 9.25 And everyone who competes [for the prize] is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a perishable crown, but we [for] an imperishable [crown.]
Matthew 6.1 Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 Tim 4.8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that power under control definition of meekness. I've heard it before.

It seems like it's really just about thinking of ourselves less.

Anonymous said...

I read this and promptly filed it away. Then I needed to draw on it. I couldn't remember where I'd read it but it helped. Imagine my surprise when I realized/remembered it came from you!

Great pic of you and Flicka in the sidebar.