Wednesday, August 8, 2007

WFMW: Speaking of smells...

Shannon must have been reading my mind! *wink* Her idea for this week's Works For Me Wednesday addresses some of the unmentionable smells she's had to battle. And, my tip has to do with icky smells in the kitchen. No, it's not my cooking (I can hear DaHubby chuckling to himself) but with my garbage disposal.

Once a month, I have my Palm remind me to section up a lemon and slowly feed one piece at a time through my garbage disposal to take care of any standing water or "standing food" smells from the drain.

As a freebie to throw in, I also found this link that also suggests two other variations...first, use just half the lemon on the garbage disposal and the other half to clean your microwave. Second, add a handful of baking soda tothe drain as you are feeding the lemon through for even more smell-fighting action. My additional suggestion: as you are cutting the lemon, remove as many of the seeds as is convenient. My disposal will chew 'em up but doesn't seem to like them much.

And, since we're on the topic of a lemon's awesome cleaning power, you can use another one with some salt to clean your cutting boards!

Cheap. Inexpensive. Natural. Effective. Works for me! *wink*

Stop by Shannon's site to see what other great ideas the ladies are sharing today!

3 comments:

T with Honey said...

Finally, a way to clean my cutting board and not ruin it. Thank you! Maybe I will finally get to eat an apple that doesn't taste like onion.

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Great ideas! I wanted to try putting orange peels through the disposal today, but it appears the old guy's on the blink.

So I'll have to wait for Big Daddy, our resident plumber, to come home this evening and check that bad boy out.

Thanks for the great tips!

Anonymous said...

My SIL recently taught me this too - works wonderfully!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! We have quickly become huge Alton Brown fans too!

Too bad my idea does not work for you - but in the long run I know you will be more grateful for no TV - guaranteed! ( :

Your blog is very cute - love all the photos of your family!

Warmly,
Mandi