Wednesday, August 22, 2007

WFMW: Shoes on the Correct Feet

Being trained as a secondary-level English teacher, I'm often at a loss to come up with a age-appropriate solution for a toddler/preschooler. But, Inspiration struck last week after the umpteenth time of explaining to Flicka that the reason she had blisters was because she had her shoes on the wrong feet and she replied "but I like them this way!"

Not wanting to discourage her from her self-dressing education (which helps while I'm wrangling Pojke into clothes as well), I took a permanent marker and drew two small smiley faces on each of the arch areas/ inside edges of the soles of her shoes. Then, I told her that when she put her shoes on to make sure that the smiley faces were facing each other so they could "kiss" and say goodbye before we left! LOL

And, we've had no problems since!

For more WFMW ideas today, go here.

10 comments:

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Great idea! Anything that can help my kidsdo something on their own, gets an A+ from me!

Susan said...

I love this idea. My little man doesn't need shoes yet. But I hope to remember it when the time comes.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! WTG!

T with Honey said...

That is such a cute and creative solution.

Debbie said...

VERY Clever!!

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! Why do they all say they like them that way! I think toddlers have secret meetings at night to agree on these things.

Unknown said...

Oh hey. I like that idea. I would draw an L in my oldest child's shoe and show her how to make the L with her Left hand and that the L on her shoe went on the same side as the L on her hand.

I think I like the kissing smiley idea better. :D

Hugs,
Melinda

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea.

I'm going to remember this one.

Anonymous said...

I Like It! perfect for my 3 year old!

Unknown said...

I love the small Nike shoes users....Love this blog and picture....