Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Nothing intelligent to add

And, I told Carmen so. The following excerpt from this book is just so good!

"In the Christian doctrine of the Trinity, we find another resource for hospitality. The Trinity shows God in relationship with Himself. Our Three-in-One God has welcomed us into Himself and invited us to participate in divine life. And so the invitation that we as Christians extend to one another is not simply an invitation into our homes or to our tables; what we ask of other people is that they enter into our lives...

"I don't find inviting people into my life much easier than inviting them into my apartment. At its core, I think, cultivating an intimacy in which people can know and be known requires being honest--practicing that other Christian discipline of telling the truth about where we live and how we got there. Often, I'd rather dissemble. Often, just as I'd rather welcome guests into a cozy and cute apartment worthy of Southern Living, I'd rather show them a Lauren who is perfect and put-together and serene. Often, telling the truth feels absurd...

"Like my apartment, my interior life is never going to be wholly respectable, cleaned up, and gleaming. But that is where I live. In the certitude of God, I ought to be able to risk issuing the occasional invitation."

4 comments:

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings

On the subject of the trinity,
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you to reconsider speaking of GOD as "Three-in-One";
especially since GOD Almighty always describe Himself as ONE in Scripture.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Adam, respectfully, I've heard the Oneness vs. Trinity argument from within my own family for years. I also don't agree with your opinion that Jesus was totally human for then all His work on the Cross was for naught.

Adam Pastor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.