Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Explanation...

...for anyone who is interested. A little Swedish history.

I've been fighting the itch to change my template. LOL (One battle lost.) I wanted to change from the fall leaves to something like a "naked tree", a cool nature silhouette kind of thing - no snow yet, just the naked tree since I'm mourning the passing of summer and fall. (*sniff, sniff* The furnace finally kicked on independently this afternoon.)

Anyhoo, I've been searching through DaHubby's multiple photo albums and computer files to no avail. *sigh* So, how 'bout something Viking-related until I can manage that?


The above banner pic is a close-up of the
linnaea borealis - provincial emblem of Småland in Sweden. This province is the home of Carolus Linnaeus (Carl von Linné) who is known as the "father of modern taxonomy." He is also considered one of the fathers of modern ecology. This flower is also often referred to as the national flower of Sweden but I've found today while surfing that that claim is actually undocumented.

Oh, and speaking of history...another interesting tidbit: did ya know that my little Vikings are related to this guy? *wink* The Vikings will be brilliant, dontcha know? And, famous. And, will support DaHubby and I in the style in which we WISH we had become accustomed! LOL

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Ugh!! I know what you mean about wanting a change....I have thought about it for a while now. I found some really great pictures for my header, but have so much to do around here that I don't have time to update my template...
I like yours, btw......

sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sara said...

linnaea borealis. I understand! pretty flower

Pam said...

Very pretty. I love the color change, but we are still awaiting full-blown fall here. No furnace for a few more weeks or more.

Thanks so much for the explanation. I'll be sending my oldest for a bit of school here tomorrow : )