Monday, March 26, 2007

Need A Quick Fundraiser Perhaps?

Our church takes up a mission offering every second Sunday of each month. While I'm not exactly sure how it is distributed, I do know our local church supports a missionary in the area where the tsunami hit in 2004.

Our local believer, Brother O, who makes the pitch from the pulpit each of those Sundays began a new program recently asking for a dollar a week from each of us over the course of a year. He got a globe, cut a piggy-bank-style hole in it and that's our visual reminder each week as we enter the sanctuary. I have been trying every week to give Flicka two dollar bills to put into the globe but, to be honest, I have been slacking.

About a month ago, I was browsing through the umpteenth catalog I get from Oriental Trading each month. And, I saw this. Well, I've been looking for something to spiff up my momma-mobile and immediately wanted to order one. Just one. But, of course, Oriental Trading wants me to by the package of 12. Then, it struck me! I'll sell the rest to donate to missions!

So, I bought two dozen and paid about $22 with shipping and handling. And, while I could submit the receipt for reimbursement, I didn't. LOL So, after clearing it with the pastor, I gave the remainder to Brother O. He announced them yesterday for $5 a piece. "It's a witness tool!" he said.

And, when I got home, Da Hubby said to me, "oh yea, Brother O said to tell you he had only 8 left!" In the few minutes following church as we all straggled out, he had made $70 for missions! *BIG smile*

Just thought I'd pass the idea along...

6 comments:

Beth said...

As someone who fundraises all year round...I TRULY appreciate this idea!

Thanks for the tip and congrats on the success!

Debbie said...

Congratulations! It is so awesome how this worked out! God is so great!

Allison said...

Great tip and congrats too :) I LOVE oriental trading :)

Unashamed said...

You go, girl! Very clever of you. I've never heard of Oriental Trading. I take it it's not just "oriental" stuff?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the visit and helpful info to me at my blog ;). It was very much appreciated! Leeann @ www.sereniome.wordpress.com

Karen said...

That is a *great* idea! We are often looking for fundraisers at church - I may have to borrow your idea :)