Friday, July 11, 2008

Haircut day

Well, I've had it on my wishlist for a while to get a pair of sharp haircuttin' scissors and a newer hair trimmer so I could do the kids' haircuts.

Flicka and I have "bi-level" hair - all long then shorter bangs...thus, easy to maintain myself.

DaHubby has...well, less hair than anyone else in the house (LOL), so he gets a buzz cut from me every couple weeks.

Pojke was the challenge. DaHubby's and my compromise with his first haircut was to get rid of the most of the baby curls and length that caused folks to think he was a girl but not *really* short so Momma could enjoy some curl still. So, he's had a "mushroom" style with the shorter underneath but longer on top.

Well, via a very nice lady who participates in our local Freecycle network, I became the proud owner of new pair of hair clippers this morning. And, I realized that my small scissors in my newly acquired sewing basket would be perfect for now for the kids.

So, first, I trimmed Flicka's bangs. Other than the squirming as she watched TV, she did great. I only took about a 1/2 inch off...fairly evenly. LOL

Then, I went in the bathroom and did my own bangs. Didn't realize that had gotten as long as they did 'til I brushed them out and they were down to my nose! LOL So, they are now at my eyebrows again.

Finally, Pojke showed some interest in all the events so, despite it nearly being naptime, I tackled it with gusto. Too bad Pojke changed his mind about halfway through but Momma persevered through tears and complaining and finished.

So I give you from this morning...the Pojke BEFORE shot:

And, this afternoon...the Pojke AFTER shot:
He wouldn't look at me...he's *really* mad at me right now! LOL

I'm pretty proud of my first attempt - and it was a first attempt on a moving, squirming, complaining, crying, arm-waving object! *wink*

So, if you figure an average of 7 haircuts a year for each of us...$20 a pop for the adults and $10 for the Vikings...I just learned how to save us over $400 a year! *big smile*

6 comments:

sara said...

Very nicely done!

Unashamed said...

Aww, he looks like a little man now :). It turned out quite nice - good job mama!

Pam said...

Good for you! He looks great, if a tad more grown up . . .

I've been doing haircuts for my guys for years, and I love that savings, too!!

Thursday's Child said...

Naayman, little man!

GiBee said...

Nice!!

I've tried, but it wasn't pretty. We decided the haircut budget was a necessary line item.

Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job! Doing our own haircuts is the thing that is saving us the most money I think. (with three boys you can't let their hair "grow out" like girls!)