Monday, December 18, 2006

I Survived Round One!

I’m still standing! LOL

Took my final at 5pm on Thursday (THANK YOU to my blue-eyed, "most-est handsomest", love-of-my-life for coming home early from work so I could do so!) And, thanks to the wonders of technology, my grades were waiting for me when I arrived home via snail mail AND online access! An "A" on the final resulting in an "A" for the semester! Yippee, me!

Unfortunately, we found out right before my test that the best man from our wedding and his wife had lost their infant daughter on December 9th shortly after birth. So, prior to leaving town, we made a point of getting to the visitation time to share our sorrow, hugs, and prayers with them. I cannot put into words everything that few minutes at the funeral home brought up and out in me. Suffice it to say this: there are few things more sad in life than a casket that size; there are few things that clear your vision and grab your focus more quickly about what is truly important about the holidays; and just hug your kids a little closer today.

So, we were on the road by 2:30pm. And, for the first time in our family history, our traveling across the state was uneventful. If you've ever attempted a trip longer than 30 minutes with one or more children under 3, you know EXACTLY what I mean. No diaper blow-outs, no temper tantrums, no "are we there yet?", no "I gotta pee...NOW!", no screaming-hungry-needs-to-nurse-NOW baby, no accidents, no traffic jams, and (praise Him for all things that are good) the DVD player played Christmas videos all the way there! LOL We checked into the hotel around 6pm and then spent the rest of the evening with my dad, step-mom, and two half-sisters.

Saturday morning, Da Hubby and Viking #1 were waiting at the pool's gate at 9am and enjoyed an hour of swimming before our day’s activities. I forgot my bathing suit so Viking #2 and I stayed in the room, cleaned up, got ready, and packed our bags for the day. We met up with my mom and step-dad at noon for lunch and then spent about 4 hours at their house wreaking havoc going through the apparently unending piles of gifts for their two only grandchildren. We then spent the evening with my extended family for our family's Christmas party. What a wonderful phenomena becoming an adult! LOL How weird to sit there and suddenly realize the irony that 30 years ago it was me and my cousins rampaging through the “play area” upstairs instead of all these adorable, amazing children who are now our offspring!

Sunday morning began with another swim, packing, and then an early lunch at Culver’s (Cracker Barrel’s line was too long! LOL) Then, with the van packed to the gills with presents, bags, suitcases, toys, and baby gear strapped to everything but the roof, we made our way uneventfully home. Following a 2 hour nap (during which even Mommy and Daddy snuggled and snoozed), we attended our church’s Christmas party last night!

Needless to say, everyone slept well last night! LOL And, now, Round Two begins for this week as we prepare for this coming weekend! Grocery shopping today. Christmas shopping for the kids tomorrow. And, hopefully, lots of just-sit-and-play-and-snuggle time with the kids that I was so coveting last week when I was studying and preparing us to travel. I’m tired of being tired and cranky and just want to spend the remainder of the week snuggling with Da Hubby and the Vikings.

Of course, there is that first birthday party for Viking #2 I need to arrange in two weeks…LOL


shortybear said...

Hey sweety, I am very proud of you. You really earned that A, you amaze me. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friends precious daughter, praying for them.

Lisa Diane said...

Glad to hear that you are all back safe and sound. Congrats on the most excellent grades!! Sorry to hear about your friends loss. I went to a funeral once for a former student who died in fifth grade of leukemia, it was heartbreaking. I know that you will be able to be an encouragement to them.

Debbie said...

Congratulations!! That is great news about the test and trip! Cracker Barrel is one of my favorites, but I have to agree that the *wait* is much too long sometimes.

It is sad about the baby, especially during Christmas, (anytime for that matter) things like this tend to make us appreciate the health and preciousness of our own children.