Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tuesday Tip Jar

This week's tip is short and sweet.

I've stopped trusting how much soap/detergent portions that manufacturers claim I need to use. LOL Just like the car dealership telling you to come in every 3,000 miles for an oil change (at $20-40 a pop) when your manual from the automaker says every 5,000-7,000 miles (or more)!

I slowly cut back on the "cap-full" measurement of detergent for each laundry load until I reached the tipping point of cleanliness and I'm now saving nearly 1/2 a cap-full per load.

And, I've started cutting my dryer sheets in half. Yes, in half. It's works nearly year 'round - with Michigan dry, static-y winter months as an exception. So, instead of buying a box of 70 count dryer sheets about every 7 weeks, I am now doing it every 3.5 months!

I know it's just pennies but when I'm trying to keep us on a $60-65/week grocery budget, leaving off a $2.79 box of dryer sheets means I have nearly $3 to spend on more produce or one more dinner worth of meat.

For more Tuesday Tip Jar ideas, stop by Blogmommas today!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been doing the same thing with the detergent as well. What a difference!

Rebecca said...

Great tips!

Blog is no more said...

Great to catch up with you again Beth!

Great tips, I have been doing that as well with the laundry soap for years.

Wow, $65 a week on groceries, that is great. It just can't be done for the four of us unless we eat beans/rice every night. What is your secret?

Jason and Lisa Jones said...

great idea! I have never thought about cutting the dryer sheets in half. Wow. We have already been cutting the laundry soap but hadn't thought of that! Thank you.