Feeling really unsettled lately...like there's a big change coming on. A unplugging the TV, clearing out basement & giving it away, taking long-term fast from FB & Twitter kind of change.
And, it's a combo of things:
1. This article which refers to going out and living my life instead of staying inside and Twittering about it. I LOVE my online friends and the way they challenge me, open my mind to new ideas, and make me laugh but no one here can participate in that. Facebooking and Twittering are technically solitary pursues. Online lives are deceptively cozy - there is a false sense of community. The only community I technically should be building is here around me. I've been toying with the idea for a block party for the last few years - and why don't I do it?
My blogging started as a writing outlet that morphed into a kind of online documentation of our family life - like a family-sized baby book! LOL Blogging led to Bloglines which led to Twittering which led to Facebooking. It's like blogging was my "gateway drug" to this online life! LOL
2. A book on scheduling for h-school moms (prioritizing what's really important to us and dropping the rest).
3. A book one and book two on the failure of public schools & their tendency to drive out inspiration, creativity, & critical thinking w/ their "herd" mentality. Gatto's books have taken my teacher training, my own school experience, and that of my teaching experience and turned it on its head. As a former/continuing student, I'm furious. As a semi-retired teacher, I'm shaking my head in agreement at the things he accuses public schooling of. As a parent, I'm turning into a huge "momma bear" wanting to protect the Vikings from it all. It's official - I've become the parent I used to make fun of. LOL "Unschooling" is sounding better and better to me. LOL
4. Our change to the Dave Ramsey mindset - whjich I've written about here several times
5. My endless ADD & Momma frustration of the constant clutter (electronic & physical) & cleaning around things we never use.
6. If we have to move for DaHubby's new career *I* don't want to pack all this crud up.
7. In a way the kids and I need fewer choices. Too many things to watch and to play with keeps us from actually going OUT and LEARNING something and/or getting some EXERCISE! And, I don't mean starting the lesson/team sport merry-go-round either. Just "unorganized", creative, investigative, self-realizing discovery. Stuff we can do together as opposed to me dropping them off at yet another activity.
8. Tired of finding new things I want to try and having no time and/or resources to do them. We love our garden - but have no time to try new seed pots I saw the other day. We *really* want to do a compost bin (maybe something like this) and a rain barrel for water conservation but no time and no money. I'd like to find something beautiful and useful to grow on the arbor DaHubby built for our wedding. (We had the ceremony under it.)
DaHubby wants to finish his boats. I want more time for solitude, reading, exercising and crafting. I want time ffor actually *doing* things with the Vikings as opposed to telling them "go watch/play/do whatever while I get housework done." Activites we can do as a family as opposed to dropping off the Vikings at yet another activity. More time for Bible reading - for all of us.
Random thoughts from a random mind this morning...