Thursday, September 4, 2008

Rainy Day Preschool Science

Well, if I was to be honest, I was so wrapped up in watching the RNC convention last night that I forgot to prep for school today. Then, woke up to that lovely (enter sarcasm here) misty rain that says "autumn" all over Michigan. LOL

So, the light bulb in my teacher brain finally kicked in about 9:30am when I remembered that
one of the things on Flicka's scope and sequence for this year was discussing alive vs. inanimate objects. And, as we've been sorting and cuttin'/pastin' fools so far this week, I stole an idea from my lloonngg ago days at summer camp: a rainy day hike!

We took a camera and went to a local park that has more green and growth than playground area and just happens to be on a pretty large river around here. And, with our
"swampers" on and the rain just barely falling, we went on a scavenger hunt to find examples of "alive" and "not alive" things.

Within 5 minutes of locking up the van, they not only found the puddles...

but also these two examples. Along with some not as willing to look back at us...

Then, we went home, dumped the camera, and quickly printed out 4 alive things and 4 non-alive things (4 to a 4X6 piece of photo paper). Then, Flicka's job (Pojke had lost interest at this point) was to cut, sort, and paste the pics in the correct part of the fancy, shmacy chart you see in this photo (LOL): A little soggy but a good morning for all!

1 comment:

sara said...

wow. I've been looking for scavenger hunt ideas. This is a good one. I'll have to tuck it away until J is a few months older, but I think it's really good.