Thursday, November 23, 2006

2006 11 14 My House-band

Ephesians 9.22-25: Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her...

We had a ladies' tea last Saturday. The theme was apples and in particular being the apple of God's eye. One the points (among many) was the issue of submitting to one's husband as the priest of the household.

Now, as a former 12-year-long single unsaved career girl (I left home at 18 and met Da Hubby when I was 30), I would have been the first to tell ya' that you were insane if you thought that (one) I even needed a man much less that (two) I would submit to ANY man lording over me. I had been raised by a single mom who strictly taught to depend on no one but myself.
Even when I returned to regular unsaved church attendance in 1988 at 20 years old, the church I was in NEVER addressed "submission" in relation to my future husband much less Christ! I don't think I ever heard the word! I just figured it was part of that Old Testament thing like the dietary restrictions that Christians don't follow anymore! Too bad that the Scripture was in Ephesians!

Then, I met Da Hubby in 2000, got married in 2001, and got saved and baptized in an independent charismatic church in 2002. (It was a busy few years! LOL) And, that's when the teaching about submission really started to sink in. The turning point was a message at our former church about how men are told to love their wives but women are told not to love but to submit! Initially, one could find this humorous or find this unthinkable. I'd like to think that loving those we care for comes naturally as part of the nature God gave us and we didn't need to be told to "love" these guys again! LOL

Either way - the most important part that no one up 'til this point bothered to explain to me was that men are to love their wives like Christ loved the Church! It was like an explosion went off in my head! So THAT is what that means!? Once I began to grasp the slightest understanding of the depth of Christ's love for me and that He only wants what is good for me, why would I have a problem submitting to the man He had chosen for me and that is directed to love me as He does!? Thus, my conversion to a submitted wife began.

So, at the ladies' tea, one of the points our speaker made was that the word "husband" references him being the "house-band". He is not only the priest and leader of the home but he is the "band" around the "house" holding it together. And, if a man fails at this calling, the home will be out of balance and at risk of falling apart.

I like that idea! While I may be the heart of the home so to speak, it is Da Hubby's arms holding us all together tightly! And, just as Da Hubby holds us close to him, so does Jesus hold us close to Him, sheltered under His wing of protection from all that may try to break that bond between Father and children!

Praise God!

No comments: