Wednesday, November 22, 2006

2006 04 26 Convicted

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Here’s something I heard spoke by the DJ on our Christian radio station today…There are the little things we enjoy as part of our lives: our first cup of coffee in the morning, a favorite chair, a special night planned, a favorite shirt, a favorite TV show. And, if for some reason we miss them, lose them, or can’t participate, we’re so disappointed and our day may go poorly because of it. We get so out of whack. “Well, no cup of coffee. Now my whole day will be a stinker.” Or, “I have to miss ‘family pizza night’ this week. I’m so bummed!” Yet, do we get this disappointed, flustered, or depressed when miss out on the opportunity to spend time daily in God’s presence?

I was so convicted by this. While I may have what sounds like a valid excuse for not praying, missing my Scripture reading, etc. am I as disappointed about missing that time as I am missing an opportunity to get out of the house with or without the kids? I’ve been so bummed about not being able to leisurely read a book or the newspaper, go to the library, or write more often. Shouldn’t I be infinitely more bummed about missing time with God?

Oh my goodness! I’m so ashamed. I argue with myself that I AM seeking God – when I can carve out a little time! But, that’s not the way it’s supposed to be. I should be seeking Him first and foremost, unrelenting, before all else.

God, I am so sorry for not putting you truly in the forefront of my life. Help me to seek You first and leave the rest of my daily troubles at Your feet.

Amen

No comments: