Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Day baby revisited (UPDATED)

I was due on Leap Day 2004 with Flicka. Unfortunately, she did to me what I did to MY mom...I was 3 weeks late, Flicka was nearly 2 weeks late! LOL

I had mixed feelings about my due date. It was cool because it was something special but then the questions started to come from strangers and family: what if you actually deliver on that day? ANd, then I found out it was actually considered UN-lucky in some cultures.

The point became moot as I failed to go into labor and was considered 2 days late which became 5 days...7 days...10 days!

However, I still found Leap Day history, explanations, and traditions interesting...

"A tradition was introduced many centuries ago to allow women to propose to men during a leap year. This privilege of proposing was restricted to leap day in some areas. Leap day was sometimes known as “Bachelors’ Day”. A man was expected to pay a penalty, such as a gown or money, if he refused a marriage offer from a woman.

The tradition’s origin stemmed from an old Irish tale referring to St Bridget striking a deal with St Patrick to allow women to propose to men every four years. This old custom was probably made to balance the traditional roles of men and women in a similar way to how the leap day balances the calendar.

It was also considered to be unlucky for someone to be born on a leap day in Scotland and for couples to marry on a leap year, including on a leap day, in Greece."
From TimeAndDate.com

Anyway, as a wonderful wish to all...Happy Leap Day!

UPDATE TO ADD: And, to celebrate, here's some Walgreen's .29 coupons...good for just today!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the update! I am praying that you and your sweet family get a little reprieve this weekend from all the yuckies and that you know that I am thinking of you! :-)

If you are posting minutes, mine are 122 for the week. It's amazing what I can do while Wyatt's away. He's home today, though, Yay!! I missed him! And don't worry about your minutes. Babies are more important than minutes.

Love ya!
Lisa :-)

Thursday's Child said...

I'm sorry that she's going through so much but I'm glad she's got 4 siblings there for her.
God bless.

Young Creations said...

I was due with my daughter Amanda on February 29, 1992. She came 16 days EARLY and was born on February 13, 1992. She just turned 16. I can't believe it eather.
Thanks for sharing your story with me.

Lauren

pilocarpine price said...

A person born is called a "leapling", "left" or "leap-year baby". Celebrates his birthday in non-lip years.