Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Getting Enough

How much is "enough"? How much 'til one is happy? Or, how little does one need to be content?

As I mentioned yesterday, we've been slowly shedding things and attitudes the last year or so. While it has often lightened our hearts and shown us what's truly important, we are still swimming against the tide of popular beliefs.

I've sat in different combinations of moms this last year or so hearing about how crazy someone's schedule is, how unhappy they are that their family never has time together, how they wished they could stop but just couldn't. To which my mind quietly asks "why not?"

I've listened to other moms explaining about they couldn't POSSIBLY drop this or that activity or sport to do more of the things they *know* they should be doing like mentoring/discipling their kids, praying individually and as a family, serving others as an example and/or as a family because what would their friends, neighbors, kids, etc. think!? To which my mind whispered to me "so what?"

We've had many material things taken from our hands in the last year or so which has caused us to look at what we *really* have and what we *really* need. And, given an opportunity to "splurge" around my birthday earlier this month, I struggled to supply gift ideas for something I wanted. Even after everything that's happened, there was nothing I could think of that I needed.

Then I saw this quote in a Bible study I've been doing since the beginning of the year.

"There are two ways to get enough. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." - GK Chesterton.

Which would you choose?

And, as things begin to improve during 2011 and 2012, Lord, let us use these additional resources You've provided wisely. Keep us from reverting back to our former paths of comsumerism and needing this and that that counts nothing to eternity.

No comments: