Monday, May 12, 2008

Montessori Monday

Well, this post is late today...at least late in the day. Monday's are such a "pick up clean up" type of day from the weekend...laundry, extra dishes, extra toys and messes, extra bags to unpack, etc.

Plus, I was having the hardest time coming up with something this week for some reason. I'm *so* in the midst of Pojke's "I do it" stage that it's been a full time job and then some to stay one step ahead of him, trying to think of ways to let him safely and within reason do the things he thinks he's ready for. And, then it struck me! *BAM*

Encouraging independence and the very brainstorming I'm doing is a perfect example of Maria Montessori's theory, just as Montessori Monday's host, Barbara Curtis, says here.

Anyway, one idea I thought I'd share is one of the ways I keep the Vikings close while transversing a parking lot or something similar. Both seem to generally feel that they are "too big" already (at 2 and 4 years old) to have to hold my hand! LOL But, for obvious safety reasons, keeping them close while crossing streets, crossing parking lots, and the like is imperative.

So, some time ago I heard this idea...and I wish I could credit to this blogger but I can't remember where I read it. I just have the Vikings stand on my shadow.

Now, immediately, this "trick" has some limitations...early mornings, late evenings, and cloudy days to name a few. LOL But, by them focusing on "stepping on Momma", they're close enough to be safe (meeting my need) while not having to hold my hand (meeting their need).

And, they get to feel like the big kid.

For more Montessori Monday ideas and examples, go here.

No comments: