Thursday, December 13, 2007

Happy St . Lucia Day!

St. Lucia is a patron saint for Sweden and her feast day is today! By tradition, the oldest girl in the home gets up early, get into a white dress, red sash with the crown of greens and candles and serves fresh coffee and Swedish treats to her family. Generally, "treats" include saffron bread but DaGrandma made a batch of Papa's favorite gingerbread instead in anticipation of today.

Anyway, I woke up the Vikings early this morning after quickly sewing the last few stitches on Flicka's dress at 7am! (I'm guessing this is my beginner's training for future recitals and/or pageants! LOL) And, we were off to the local "old folks home" aka Hardee's where DaGrandparents have their coffee each morning!

Flicka made her entrance but wasn't initially happy with the extra attention.

But, she warmed right up and charmed everyone to pieces!


And, not to be outdone...this was Pojke a couple night ago when I finished the crown:

2 comments:

Shelby Ray said...

She's beautiful; please let us see pics of, or after the Christmas pageant on Sunday.
By the way, I don't sew, so I am super impressed with her outfit; you did a good job!
Be blessed this Christmas season!

Unashamed said...

I saw this earlier and didn't have time to comment but I wanted to tell you that you go girl! You did an awesome job on her costume and Flicka is adorable! I'll bet she warmed the hearts of all at Hardees. What a neat thing to do - I think it's wonderful to pass on customs and traditions to our kids. It gives them a sense of continuity and connection with the past. Just awesome!!