Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Another prayer request...

What a week! One potential crisis yesterday and another today! LOL Yesterday's had the potential to get really bad really quick. Today's is a possibility for a wonderful outcome but requires a big decision.

So, you more-mature-than-me, more-objective Christians...I have a question for you. Imagine this scenario: you feel God is directing you to take a certain path. You do it. But, it results in some difficulties. You pray about the difficulties and pray for God's direction in how to deal with them. Then, something comes up which will relieve those difficulties but take you away from that initial path you felt God wanted you to take...

How do you tell if that "something" is an answer to prayer or a too-good-to-be-true deception from the devil to get you off track from the original plan?

Feel free to throw in your two cents and, needless to say, lift up this vague situation to the Lord! *wink*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Beth, I have no advice here except to say that this is a question that has been rumbling around in my mind a LOT lately. I read Anita's entry about how she knew God was leading her to a certain position and Allison's post about feeling led of God to marry Brian and I'm still left with questions. How does one know whether something is a coinkydink or divine intervention or satanic deception or fleshly desires? Sorry, I guess I just restated your question. Will be praying for discernment (for you AND me).

Unashamed said...

According to the writer of Ecclessiates, there is a time for everything. Could it be that one "season" is ending and God is leading you to a new season? Something to think about anyway.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on discerning the will of God for my life, but I think that there are some general principles that can be observed. I mean, if it's breaking a commandment...probably NOT God's will! If it goes against His precepts, ditto. I do think that in some areas He allows us a lot of choice. For example, we likely don't pray for His will over what to prepare for dinner each evening. We simply prepare something appropriate, because it is His will that we care for our family - but there's a lot of choices that fall within the range of that will. Does that make sense? I hope I haven't just confused you more!!