Thursday, December 7, 2006

Family Advent Calendar: Day 7



I'm so enthusiastic about this idea that I guess I just want to show everyone how it has been a HUGE blessing for us for relatively little effort.

Monday: Viking #1 made little foam cross ornaments for the Christmas tree. Cost: $5 at our local five n' dime. If I had known all the pieces before I opened it, probably could have done it for less with leftover supplies I had on my craft shelf in the basement.

Tuesday: Our play group provider, Parents as Teachers, had their Christmas Open House. Since Viking #2 was fighting "walrus boogers," he stayed at Da Grandma's while Viking #1 and I spent two hours playing in paper "snow", playing with gingerbread-scented playdoh, throwing "snowballs" of rolled up socks, and making a snowman craft. Cost: free

Wednesday: The kids and I watched the old "Frosty the Snowman" cartoon from ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas which I had recorded sometime earlier this week while I "showed" #1 how to make paper snow flakes. Cost: free

Total cost so far: $12

So far, Da Hubby hasn't been able to do much with us. He's back on 12-14 hour shifts. *sigh* Good for the bank account; bad for the kids and I. But, we'll be doing the weekend things together plus we're having two other couples over (we'll have 5 kids under 5! LOL) for dinner Saturday night. Homemade soups and breads, a meat tray, a veggie tray,and mini-do-it-yourself pizzas for the kids.

Busy, busy, busy...but loving it! It's the first time in a long time that I'm genuinely getting excited about the holiday! Don't know if it's the kids becoming aware of the holiday or the decisions we're making about how we're spending our time. Haven't thought about it too much yet! LOL

2 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds like you are having so much fun at your house sweety.

Debbie said...

Hey, you are busy! I know it is great! I have also recorded the Christmas movies from ABC Family. We can't possbily watch them at the premier time, but enjoy them at our convenience.