Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fall Reading Challenege wrap-up

I can't believe this challenge is over already! I wrote here in September that I was going to take it easy this time around. I usually over-commit myself in life - even more so in reading. So, I pledged to only read 2 nonfiction and 2 fiction during the 13-week challenge.

Well.....

I got more reading done than I planned because my plans were thwarted by paperbackswap.com. LOL They just kept sending me good books to distract me from my original plan.

The one book from my original list I *did* complete was The House on Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper. It was a weird, differently-handled memoir that was slow at times but wonderful and revealing at others.

I also started A Walk With Jane Austen by Lori Smith but couldn't get myself to finish it. Too much of the author and not enough of the Austen analysis I was expecting.

So, it was the other unexpected joys of the following that kept me curled up on the couch:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (weird, mushy, a bit confusing by a good "brain candy")

Best Intentions: A Novel by Emily Listfield (slow starter but fantastic ending)

The Heretic's Daughter: A Novel by Kathleen Kent (Got completely absorbed in this one. This is the one of the six that I would recommend the most.)

Magi by Daniel Gilbert (A historically-accurate yet fictitious account from the magis' point of view in the year of Christ's birth. Read it in a day - loved it!)

So, I consider this challenge a success despite the fiction-heavy list & throwing my reading plan to the wind. LOL Thank you, Katrina, for continuing to do these challenges. It helps snap my bee-hind in gear and keeps me from forgeting how much I truly love getting lost in a great book!

And, see what else everyone accomplished here.

1 comment:

sara said...

My want-to-read list is as long as my arm, but I'm trying hard to prioritize. Maybe I'll blog a little something about it later.