Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday Tip Jar

I've had two requests on Twitter this past week about the refried bean recipe I use to I thought it would be worthwhile to just make it a post...

We eat A LOT of refried beans around here. Quesadillas and bean dip are two of our favorites. After buying cans and cans of store-bought stuff filled with tons of sodium and who-know-what, I decided to try making them myself. I started with the Happy Housewife's recipe and have gone from there.

So, basically, this is it:

7am Day One
One half a bag of dry pinto beans in several cups of water in my OFF crockpot. Soak for 12 hours.

7pm Day One
Check water level, turn crockpot on low.

7am Day Two
Turn off crockpot and let cool. Then, place in fridge.

Dinner time Day Two
Pour about 1-2 T of oil or butter (your choice, we use olive oil) in large pot or pan.

Scoop batches of beans into blender, adding water from crockpot as needed to desired consistency.

I also throw a small chopped onion into one blender batch.

Pour into pot or pan. Heat to simmer.

I add 1-2 tablespoon EACH of cumin, garlic powder, and chili pepper.

Stir frequently until desired consistency. Use for dinner that night or store for later meals.

Enjoy! To see more TTJ, go to Blogmommas today.

3 comments:

AudreyO said...

I wish I liked beans more. I'll eat them occasionally, but I'd much rather have rice :)

Erica said...

i am big on beans to and this recipe sounds so good thanks for the tip.

Rebecca said...

I've always wanted to know how to do this on my own - I'm so glad you posted this!